Free access
Issue
Ann. For. Sci.
Volume 53, Number 5, 1996
Page(s) 1031 - 1048
DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/forest:19960510
Ann. For. Sci. 53 (1996) 1031-1048
DOI: 10.1051/forest:19960510

Biomasse, productivité et transferts de matière organique dans une séquence altitudinale de peuplements de Castanea sativa Mill de l'Etna

S Leonardia, b, M Rappc, M Faillaa and D Guarnacciaa

a  Facoltà di Scienze Matematiche, Fisiche e Naturali, Università di Catania, 19 Via A Longo, 95125 Catania
b  Corso di Laurea in Scienze Forestali ed Ambientali, Università di Palermo, 23 Via Roma, 92010 Bivona, Italie
c  CNRS-CEFE, BP 5051, 34033 Montpellier cedex, France

Abstract - Biomass, productivity and organic matter fluxes in Castanea sativa Mill stands of various elevation in the Etna volcano. All the compartments and fluxes of organic matter distribution and turnover within four Castanea sativa Mill coppice stands of various ages and at various elevations were studied on the flanks of the Etna volcano (Sicily). Aboveground biomass was to 22 and 24 Mg ha-1 in 7-year-old stands and 83 and 100 Mg ha-1 in 12- and 22-year-old coppices, with good correlations between biomass and climatic conditions or stand age. Wood accounted for 95% of the biomass and leaves for 5%. Aboveground perennial biomass production amounted to 2.4 to 5.4 Mg ha-1 year-1, and thus was also correlated with the age and the altitudinal location of the stands. Litterfall, measured during 3 successive years, varied between 1.7 and 5.1 Mg ha-1 year -1 and was directely related to the stand age. The litter accumulation on the soil surface was 7.4 to 7.9 Mg ha-1, with only small differences between the four sites. Decomposition required more then 6 years. The comparison of the four coppices showed that all the processes concerning productivity, as well as decomposition, were related to climatic conditions and to the age of the coppice stands.


Résumé - Les différents compartiments et flux caractérisant la répartition de la matière organique sont étudiés dans quatre taillis de Castanea sativa Mill, étagés le long d'un gradient altitudinal, dans le massif de l'Etna (Sicile). Les biomasses épigées sont respectivement de 22 et de 24 Mg ha-1 à 7 ans, 83 Mg ha-1 à 12 ans et 100 Mg ha-1 à 22 ans, avec de bonnes corrélations : biomasse/âge et biomasse/facteurs climatiques. Le bois représente 95 % et les feuilles 5 % de ces biomasses. Les productions aériennes pérennes s'échelonnent entre 2,4 et 5,4 Mg ha-1 an -1 en relation à la fois avec l'âge des taillis et leur localisation géographique. Les retombées de litière, observées durant 3 années consécutives, se situent entre 1,7 et 5, 1 Mg ha-1 an-1. Elles sont directement fonction de l'âge des peuplements. Cette litière reste immobilisée à la surface du sol, où elle représente une masse de 7,4 à 7,9 Mg ha -1, donc peu variable d'une station à l'autre. La décomposition de cette litière s'étend sur une période supérieure à 6 années. La comparaison des quatre taillis étudiés indique que l'ensemble des processus impliqués, aussi bien dans la production que dans la décomposition de la matière organique, est fonction d'une part des facteurs climatiques stationnels ou globaux, d'autre part de l'âge des peuplements.


Key words: Castanea sativa Mill / organic matter / biomass / productivity / litterfall / litter decomposition

Mots clés : Castanea sativa Mill / matière organique / biomasse / litière / décomposition / production