- Aranda I., Gil L., and Pardos J.A., 2001. Effects of thinning in a Pinus sylvestris L. stand on foliar water relations of Fagus sylvatica L. seedlings planted within the pinewood. Trees 15: 358–364 [CrossRef].
- Aranda I., Pardos M., Puértolas J., Jiménez M.D., and Pardos J.A., 2007. Water use efficiency in cork oak (Quercus suber L.) is modified by the interaction of water and light availabilities. Tree Physiol. 27: 671–677 [PubMed].
- Bellot J., Ortiz de Urbina J.M., Bonet A., and Sánchez J.R., 2002. The effects of treeshelters on the growth of Quercus coccifera seedlings in a semiarid environment. Forestry 75: 89–106 [CrossRef].
- Boodrib T. and Hill R.S., 1998. The photosynthetic drought physiology of a diverse group of southern hemisphere conifer species is correlated with minimum seasonal rainfall. Funct. Ecol. 12: 465–471 [CrossRef].
- Burslem D.F.R.P., Grubb P.J., and Turner I.M., 1996. Responses to simulated drought and elevated nutrient supply among shade-tolerant tree seedlings of lowland tropical forest in Singapore. Biotropica 28: 636–648 [CrossRef].
- Canham C.D., Berkowitz A.R., Kelly V.R., Lovett G.M., Ollinger S.V., and Schnurr. J., 1996. Biomass allocation and multiple resource limitation in tree seedlings. Can. J. For. Res. 26: 1521–1530 [CrossRef].
- Castro J., Zamora R., Hódar J.A. Gómez, J.M., and Gómez-Aparicio L., 2004. Benefits of using shrubs as nurse plants for reforestation in Mediterranean mountains: a 4-year study. Restor. Ecol. 12: 352–358 [CrossRef].
- Castro-Díez P., Navarro J., Pintado A., Sancho L.G., and Maestro M., 2006. Interactive effects of shade and irrigation on the performance of seedlings of three Mediterranean Quercus species. Tree Physiol. 26: 389–400 [PubMed] [CrossRef].
- Cavender-Bares J. and Bazzaz F.A., 2000. Changes in drought response strategies with ontogeny in Quercus rubra: implications for scaling from seedling to mature trees. Oecologia 124: 8–18 [CrossRef].
- De Lillis M. and Fontanella A., 1992. Comparative phenology and growth in different species of the Mediterranean maquis of Central Italy. Vegetatio 99-100: 83–96 [CrossRef].
- Duan B., Lu Y., Yin C., Junttila O. and Li, C., 2005. Physiological responses to drought and shade in two contrasting Picea asperata populations. Physiol. Plant. 124: 476–484 [CrossRef].
- Eastman P.A.K. and Camm E.L., 1995. Regulation of photosynthesis in interior spruce during water stress: changes in gas exchange and chlorophyll fluorescence. Tree Physiol. 15: 229–235 [PubMed].
- Epron D., Dreyer E., and Bréda N., 1992. Photosynthesis of oak trees [Quercus petraea (Matt.) Liebl.] during drought under field conditions: diurnal course of net CO2 assimilation and photochemical efficiency of photosystem II. Plant Cell Environ. 15: 809–820 [CrossRef].
- Evans J.R. and Poorter H., 2001. Photosynthetic acclimation of plants to growth irradiance: the relative importance of specific leaf area and nitrogen partitioning in maximizing carbon gain. Plant Cell Environ. 24: 755–767 [CrossRef]
- Gardiner E.S. and Hodges J.D., 1998. Growth and biomass distribution of cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings as influenced by light availability. For. Ecol. Manage. 108: 127–134 [CrossRef].
- Gibelin A.-L. and Déqué M., 2003. Anthropogenic climate change over the Mediterranean region simulated by a global variable resolution model. Clim. Dyn. 20: 327–339.
- Gómez-Aparicio L., Zamora R., Gómez J.M., Hódar J.A., Castro J., and Baraza E., 2004. Applying plant facilitation to forest restoration in Mediterranean ecosystems: a meta-analysis of the use of shrubs as nurse plants. Ecol. Appl. 14: 1128–1138 [CrossRef].
- Hastwell G.T. and Facelli. J.M., 2003. Differing effects of shade-induced facilitation on growth and survival during the establishment of a chenopod shrub. J. Ecol. 91: 941–950 [CrossRef].
- Holmgren M., 2000. Combined effects of shade and drought on tulip poplar seedlings: trade-off in tolerance or facilitation? Oikos 90: 67–78.
- Holmgren M., Scheffer M., and Huston M.A., 1997. The interplay of facilitation and competition in plant communities. Ecology 78: 1966–1975 [CrossRef].
- Jurik T.W., 1986. Temporal and spatial patterns of leaf weight in successional northern hardwood tree species. Am. J. Bot. 73: 1083–1092 [CrossRef].
- Kubiske M.E., Abrams M.D., and Mostoller S.A., 1996. Stomatal and nonstomatal limitations to photosynthesis in relation to the drought and shade tolerance of tree species in open and understory environments. Trees 11: 73–82.
- Montero G. and Cañellas I., 2003. Selvicultura de los alcornocales en España. Silva Lusitana 11: 1–19.
- Niinemets U., Sonninen E., and Tobias M., 2004. Canopy gradients in leaf intercellular CO2 mole fractions revisited: interactions between leaf irradiance and water stress need consideration. Plant Cell Environ. 27: 569–583 [CrossRef].
- Nobel P., 1999. Physiochemical and environmental plant physiology. 2nd ed., Academic Press, San Diego, 474 p.
- Oguchi R., Hikosaka K., and Hirose T., 2003. Does the photosynthetic light acclimation need change in leaf anatomy? Plant Cell Environ. 26: 505–512.
- Pardos M., Jiménez M.D., Aranda I., Puértolas J., and Pardos J.A., 2005. Water relations of cork oak (Quercus suber L.) seedlings in response to shading and moderate stress. Ann. For. Sci 62: 377–384 [EDP Sciences] [CrossRef].
- Piper F.I., Corcuera L.J., Alberdi M., and Lusk C., 2007. Differential photosynthetic and survival responses to soil drought in two evergreen Nothofagus species. Ann. For. Sci. 64: 447–452 [EDP Sciences] [CrossRef].
- Prider J.N. and Facelli J.M., 2004. Interactive effects of drought and shade on three arid zone chenopod shrubs with contrasting distributions in relation to tree canopies. Funct. Ecol. 18: 67–76 [CrossRef].
- Quero J.L., Villar R., Marañón T., and Zamora R., 2006. Interactions of drought and shade effects on seedlings of four Quercus species: physiological and structural leaf responses. New Phytol. 170: 819–834 [PubMed] [CrossRef].
- Rousset O. and Lepart J., 1999. Shrub facilitation of Quercus humilis regeneration in succession on calcareous grasslands. J. Veg. Sci. 10: 493–502 [CrossRef].
- Sack L., 2004. Responses of temperate woody seedlings to shade and drought: do trade-off limit potential niche differentiation? Oikos 107: 107–127.
- Sack L. and Grubb P.J., 2002. The combined impacts of deep shade and drought on the growth and biomass allocation of shade-tolerant woody seedlings. Oecologia 131: 175–185 [CrossRef].
- Sack L., Grubb P.J., and Marañón T., 2003. The functional morphology of juvenile plants tolerant of strong summer drought in shaded forest understories in southern Spain. Plant Ecol. 168: 139–163 [CrossRef].
- Sánchez-Gómez D., Valladares F., and Zavala M.A., 2006. Performance of seedlings of Mediterranean woody species under experimental gradients of irradiance and water availability: trade-offs and evidence for niche differentiation. New Phytol. 170: 795–806 [PubMed] [CrossRef].
- Smith T. and Huston M., 1989. A theory of the spatial and temporal dynamics of plant communities. Plant Ecol. 83: 49–69 [CrossRef].
- Terashima I., Miyazawa S.I., and Hanba Y.T., 2001. Why are the sun leaves thicker than shade leaves? Consideration based on analyses of CO2 diffusion in the leaf. J. Plant Res.114: 93–105
- Valladares F. and Pearcy R., 2002. Drought can be more critical in the shade than in the sun: a field study of carbon gain and photo-inhibition in a Californian shrub during a dry El Niño year. Plant Cell Environ. 25: 749–759 [CrossRef].
- Valladares F., Dobarro I., Sánchez-Gómez D., and Pearcy R.W., 2005. Photoinhibition and drought in Mediterranean woody saplings: scaling effects and interactions in sun and shade phenotypes. J. Exp. Bot. 56: 483–494 [PubMed] [CrossRef].
- Valladares F., Martínez-Ferri L., Balaguer L., Pérez-Corona E., and Manrique E., 2000. Low leaf-level response to light and nutrients in Mediterranean evergreen oaks: a conservative resource-use strategy? New Phytol. 148: 79–91.
- Vance N.C. and Zaerr J.B., 1991. Influence of drought stress and low irradiance on plant water relations and structural constituents in needles of Pinus ponderosa seedlings. Tree Physiol. 8: 175–184 [PubMed].
- Van Hees A.F.M., 1997. Growth and morphology of pedunculate oak (Quercus robur L.) and beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) seedlings in relation to shading and drought, Ann. Sci. For. 54: 9–18.
- Welander N.T. and Ottosson B., 2000. The influence of low light, drought and fertilization on transpiration and growth in young seedlings of Quercus robur L. For. Ecol. Manage. 127: 139–151 [CrossRef].
- Zavala M.A. and Zea E., 2004. Mechanisms maintaining biodiversity in Mediterranean pine-oak forests: insights from a spatial simulation model. Plant Ecol. 171: 197–207 [CrossRef].
Ann. For. Sci.
Volume 65, Number 6, September 2008
|Number of page(s)||10|
|Published online||04 September 2008|
References of Ann. For. Sci. 65 (2008) 611