- Ancelin P., Courbaud B. and Fourcaud T., 2004. Development of an individual tree-based mechanical model to predict wind damage within forest stands. For. Ecol. Manage. 203: 101–121 [CrossRef]
- Blennow K. and Sallnäs O., 2004. WINDA – a system of models for assessing the probability of wind damage to forest stands within a landscape. Ecol. Model. 175: 87–99 [CrossRef]
- Copeland J.H., Pielke R.A. and Kittel T.G.F., 1996. Potential climatic impacts on vegetation change: a regional modelling study. J. Geophys. Res. 101(D3) : 7409–7418. [CrossRef]
- Coutts M.P., 1986. Components of tree stability in Sitka spruce on peaty gley soil. Forestry 59: 173–197 [CrossRef]
- Elling A.E. and Verry E.S., 1978. Predicting wind-caused mortality in strip-cut stands of peatland Black spruce. For. Chron. 54: 249–252
- FMI, Finnish Meteorological Institute. 2003. Weather statistics of the storms in Finland [online], available from http://www.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/saa/tilastot_21.html [cited 16 March 2003]
- Garcia-Gonzalo J., Peltola H., Zubizarreta-Gerendiain, A. and Kellomäki, S. 2007. Impacts of forest landscape structure and management on timber production and carbon stocks in the boreal forest ecosystem under changing climate. For. Ecol. Manage. 241: 243–257. [CrossRef]
- Gardiner B.A., Stacey G.R., Belcher R.E. and Wood C.J., 1997. Field and wind tunnel assessments of the implications of respacing and thinning for tree stability. Forestry 70: 233–252 [CrossRef]
- Gardiner B.A., Peltola H. and Kellomäki S., 2000. Comparison of two models for predicting the critical wind speeds required to damage coniferous trees. Ecol. Model. 129: 1–23 [CrossRef]
- Laiho O., 1987. Metsiköiden alttius tuulituhoille Etelä-Suomessa. [Susceptibility of forest stands to wind throw in southern Finland.] Folia For. 706: 1–24 (in Finnish with English summary).
- Lanquaye-Opoku, N., Mitchell and S.J., 2005. Portability of stand-level empirical windthrow risk models. For. Ecol. Manage. 216: 134–148 [CrossRef]
- McNaughton K.G., 1989. Micrometeorology of shelter belts and forest edges. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 324: 351–368 [CrossRef]
- Mayer H., 1989. Windthrow. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 324: 267–281 [CrossRef]
- Neustein S.A., 1965. Windthrow on the margins of various sizes of felling area. Report on forest research for the year ended March 1964, Forestry Commission pp. 166–171.
- Pellikka P. and Järvenpää E., 2003. Forest stand characteristics and wind and snow induced forest damage in boreal forest. Proceedings of the International Conference on Wind Effects on Trees, held in September 16–18, 2003, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, p. 8.
- Peltola H., Kellomäki S., Väisänen H. and Ikonen V.P., 1999. A mechanistic model for assessing the risk of wind and snow damage to single trees and stands of Scots pine, Norway spruce, and birch. Can. J. For. Res. 29: 647–661 [CrossRef]
- Peltola H., Kellomäki S., Hassinen A., Gran and er M., 2000. Mechanical stability of Scots pine, Norway spruce and birch: an analysis of tree-pulling experiments in Finland. For. Ecol. Manage. 135: 143–153 [CrossRef]
- Petty J.A. and Swain C., 1985. Factors influencing stem breakage of conifers in high winds. Forestry 58: 75–85 [CrossRef]
- Petty J.A. and Worrell R., 1981. Stability of coniferous tree stems in relation to damage by snow. Forestry 54: 115–128 [CrossRef]
- Quine C.P., 2000. Estimation of mean wind climate and probability of strong winds for wind risk assessment. Forestry 73: 247–258 [CrossRef]
- Ravn H.P., 1985. Expansion of the populations of Ips typographus (L.) (Coleoptera, Scolytidae) and their local dispersal following gale disaster in Denmark. Z. Angew. Entomol. 99: 27–33
- Stacey G.R., Belcher R.E., Wood C.J. and Gardiner B.A., 1994. Wind flows and forces in a model spruce forest. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 69: 311–334 [CrossRef]
- Talkkari A., Peltola H., Kellomäki S., Str and man H., 2000. Integration of component models from the tree, stand and regional levels to assess the risk of wind damage at forest margins. For. Ecol. Manage. 135: 303–313 [CrossRef]
- UNECE/FAO, 2000. Forest products annual market review. United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (Geneva), Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (Rome).
- Venäläinen A., Zeng H., Peltola H., Talkkari A., Str, man H. and Kellomäki S., 2004. Simulations of the influence of forest management on wind climate on a regional scale. Agric. For. Meteorol. 123: 149–158 [CrossRef]
- Zeng H., Peltola H., Talkkari A., Venäläinen A., Str, man H., Kellomäki S. and Wang K., 2004. Influence of clear-cutting on the risk of wind damage at forest edges. For. Ecol. Manage. 203: 77–88 [CrossRef]
- Zeng H., Peltola H., Talkkari A., Str, man H., Venäläinen A., Wang K. and Kellomäki S., 2006. Simulations of the influence of clear-cuttings on the risk of wind damage on a regional scale over a 20 year period. Can. J. For. Res. 36: 2247–2258 [CrossRef]
- Zeng H., Pukkala T. and Peltola H., 2007. The use of heuristic optimization in risk management of wind damage in forest planning. For. Ecol. Manage. 241: 189–199 [CrossRef]
- Zeng H., Peltola H., Väisänen H. and Kellomäki S. 2009. The effects of fragmentation on the susceptibility of a boreal forest ecosystem to wind damage. For. Ecol. Manage. 257: 1165–1173. [CrossRef]
Ann. For. Sci.
Volume 67, Number 1, January-February 2010
|Number of page(s)||8|
|Published online||24 December 2009|